Sunday, August 21, 2011

Book Recommendations

 Some recent reads that are well worth the time.   Recommended ages are my opinions only and are based on subject matter and vocabulary.
Number the Stars
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
Ages 10+  This is a story of a girl, her family, and how they try to get her Jewish friend into hiding during the Holocaust.  This book really touched my 11 year old and sparked some great discussion.   When I read this about a year ago, I immediately added it to her literature pile.  It took awhile for her to choose it, but I knew when she did that it would be a powerful reading experience for her.  I wasn't wrong. 


The Star of Kazan
 The Star of Kazan by Eva Ibbotson
Ages 7+  The rags to riches story of an orphan, a kidnapping, a miserable boarding school, stolen jewels, and the power of family.   We did this as a read-aloud during the summer and loved it.   We've read a handful of books by Ibbotson and they have all impressed me.

The Long Winter

The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Ages 6+  The story of the Ingalls family during a long hard winter in the town of DeSmet, South Dakota.  This was my series growing up.   The books that I read so much that the covers were held on with tape.   The Long Winter was my second favorite book of all the Little House books, and still is.   When I became a parent, I read and re-read this series aloud to both of my girls.   My 11 year old enjoyed them, but my 9 year old loves them.   She's listened to me read them, listened to them on audio and is now working through the series for literature.    You can never go wrong with any of the Little House books!

And, just for fun:
How to Train Your Dragon
How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell
Ages 5+   The story of Hiccup, the viking, and his dragon.   According to my girls, the books are nothing like the movie.   My 9 year old started reading these and talked about them so much that my 11 year old, and their 10 year old cousin, got hooked on the series.   These would appeal to any child with a sense of humor, particularly boys.   My 9 year old is anxiously awaiting the 8th installment, due out in November. 




No comments: